- An amateur radio goal, mini dxpedition -

Filed under: by: yc0nho


We're home from our trip to Mt. Telomoyo. It's located in the middle of YB2 land. A mountain with about 1800m asl. I thought I'd capture some of the more important lessons found out from this trip while these details were fresh in my brain. Here they go in no particular order.

I've always been low on setting and making goals for a 100 Pound DXpedition or something called private dxpedition. For one thing, this provides focus during the packing effort as you ask yourself on each decision, "Is this helping me reach my goals?" My goals for this trip "didn't" make sense. My state goal were to add my dxcc country in 80m band. How poor I am..

Be creative with your goals!!! For example, we can have a goal to participate in the CQ WW DX SSB contest on this trip. We know, there are twelve different categories we could have competed: low-power all-band, LP 10m, LP 15m, LP 20m, LP 40m, LP 80m, QRP all-band, QRP 10m, QRP 15m, QRP 20m, QRP 40m, or QRP 80m. For me all of categories is a dream at least due to my license now. But, at the time while went to Mt. telomoyo, there is no event I could take participate.

I've a plan to work on 40 and 80m band phone only. Of course, all were set up with simple full sized wire antenna. For 80m, I have full sized groundplane antenna with 4 radial, within my threes tower and dipole for my 40m fed by 450ohm ladder line. For my ease of installation, I also brought a Z-matcher antenna tuner. Hope it can help me much. All of wire were hung within threes.

Unfortunately, I had a problem with my 40m band transceiver so my only ready band is 80m. Standing by all nights long gave me some new countries. I got 14 new countries, so my right now I've had 16 countries on 80m band phone. Not bad huh..

This is a vacation ... not an assignment. I've to make my another vacation big, really, trying to push limits, capture audio, create a DVD. I do enjoy these trips as I enjoy playing with the radio. I also enjoy sharing what I've learned in and hope that someone else might happen upon these words and try it for themselves. But, too much of this sharing leads to a life lived in a fish bowl. I believe this will motivate my readers a head-start in their adventure. I believe I need to push myself a little hard on this one.

There were more lessons learned, of course, but these were the big ones. Now, I am home and resting comfortably in my own bed. I can reflect upon these and others. Soon it will be time to plan another 100 Pound DXpedition. Wanna join? Drop me a message..

73,

0 comments: